Homemade Iced Limeade
12 Unwaxed limes (soft ones if possible)
500g Caster sugar
18g Citric acid
3.8 Litres sparkling mineral water
Ice cubes and mint sprigs, to serve
- Remove the zest from the limes with a peeler, taking care not to include any of the bitter white pith.
- Put the lime zest into a blender with the sugar and citric acid and blend for 2 minutes. Transfer to a pan and place over a medium heat. Add 500ml of the water and bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 minutes to release all of the flavour. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Place the peeled limes in the microwave on Medium for 10 seconds – warming them up will result in a lot more juice. (If you haven’t got a microwave, roll the limes around on the work surface with the palms of your hands.) Halve the limes and squeeze the juice, then strain the juice into a large bowl or jug and add the rest of the water.
- Pass the cooled sugar water through a sieve to remove the zest, then combine with the lime juice mixture and pour into bottles. Seal and chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours before serving (it will keep for up to 3 days).
- To serve, pour the limeade over ice cubes and fresh mint in ice-cold glasses.