Summer Berry Gazpacho
1kg over-ripe summer fruits (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, redcurrants)
100g caster sugar
6 sprigs mint
To Serve (Optional)
Plain yogurt or fruit sorbet
- Two days before serving, hull the strawberries and pick over the berries and currants. Set aside a few of the select and visually appealing fruits to serve at the end. Dice the watermelon, discarding the skin and seeds. Peel, de-seed and chop the cucumber.
- Place the fruits and cucumber in a bowl with the sugar and 2 sprigs mint. Cover and leave in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, pour the contents of the bowl into a blender and blend to a smooth purée. Set a colander over a bowl and line the colander with a wet piece of muslin or cheesecloth (or a wet tea towel). Pour the puréed fruits into the cloth and leave in the fridge overnight.
- The following morning, the liquid that you have in the bowl is a berry gazpacho.
- To serve, divide the reserved whole fruits between 6 bowls. Pick the leaves off the remaining mint sprigs and tear them over the fruits, then ladle the chilled gazpacho on top. If you like, serve with ice cubes and yogurt or fruit sorbet.